These numbers should be used in your MLA in-text citations, separated by periods, instead of page numbers.
How to Cite Shakespeare in MLA | Format & Examples.
|MLA format||Shakespeare, William. Play Title. Edited by Editor first name Last name, Publisher, Year.|
|MLA in-text citation||(Shakespeare 5.2.201–204) or (Ham. 1.2.321–324)|
How do you cite Shakespeare Hamlet in MLA?
- Author’s last name, first name. Title. Translated or edited by first name last name, publisher, year published, page numbers.
- Shakespeare, William. Hamlet. Edited by George Richard Hibbard, Oxford UP, 2008, pp. 18-22.
- Author’s last name, first initial. (Year published). Title.
- Shakespeare, W. (1996). Hamlet.
How do you cite Shakespeare sonnets in-text MLA?
For poems, cite the line(s) of the poem, rather than the page number in the in-text citation. Shakespeare, William. “Sonnet 73: That time of year thou mayest in me behold.” Poetry Foundation, www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45099/sonnet-73-that-time-of-year-thou-mayst-in-me-behold.
Do you use quotation marks for Shakespeare?
When referring to Shakespeare’s plays in your essay, the play’s title should always be underlined or italicized. It is not put in quotation marks. Always try to be as specific as possible in your references to the play you are arguing about. When appropriate, quote directly from the play to support your point.
How do you cite a play in MLA format?
Citing a Play
- Format: Author. Title of Play in Italics. Title of Textbook, edited by Editor Name, edition, vol.
- Example: Hansberry, Lorraine. A Raisin in the Sun. The Norton Anthology of African American Literature,
- Format: Author. Title of Play in Italics. Edition, Publisher, Year.
- Example: Sophocles. Antigone.
How do you cite quotes from plays?
Citing in-text from a play (short quotation)
If the quote is only one line place quotation marks around the quote then in paraphrases include the author’s last name, act. scene. line. If the play is not divided into acts, scenes and lines then cite the page number in the paraphrases.
How do I cite Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet MLA?
- MLA. Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Romeo and Juliet, 1597. Oxford :published for the Malone Society by Oxford University Press, 2000.
- APA. Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. ( 2000). Romeo and Juliet, 1597.
- Chicago. Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Romeo and Juliet, 1597.
How do you quote Macbeth in MLA?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)
How do you cite Julius Caesar in MLA?
How to cite “Julius Caesar” by William Shakespeare
- APA. Shakespeare, W. (2001). Julius Caesar (R. Gill, Ed.; 4th ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Chicago. Shakespeare, William. 2001. Julius Caesar. Edited by Roma Gill.
- MLA. Shakespeare, William. Julius Caesar. Edited by Roma Gill, 4th ed., Oxford University Press, 2001.
How do you reference the quote?
If you have directly quoted words from a source (in inverted commas, or in an indented paragraph), provide the author, year, and specific page number for that quotation. (For material without page numbers, give the paragraph number.) Include a complete reference in the reference list.
How do you Harvard reference a Shakespeare quote?
This guide introduces the Harvard referencing style and includes examples of citations.
- Year of publication (in round brackets).
- Title (in italics).
- Edition information.
- Place of publication: publisher.
- Act. Scene: line.
How do you reference someone’s quote?
When making reference to the spoken words of someone other than the author recorded in a text, cite the name of the person and the name of the author, date and page reference of the work in which the quote or reference appears.